If you’re experiencing issues with your Google Pixel Watch and need to start fresh, resetting it to factory settings is the way to go. This guide covers the steps to reset your Pixel Watch, including what happens during the process, how to avoid losing your apps and settings, and how to clear an eSIM when necessary.
What Happens When You Reset a Google Pixel Watch?
When you reset your Google Pixel Watch, it returns to the state it was in when you first unboxed it. This means that a reset will:
- Clear all customization settings, including the default watch face.
- Erase all apps and associated data (excluding items not backed up to the cloud, like Keep notes).
- Reset system settings to their default configurations (e.g., notification sound volume).
- Unpair the watch from your phone.
After the reset, you’ll need to pair your Pixel Watch with your phone again to use it.
How to Reset a Google Pixel Watch
You can reset your Google Pixel Watch using either the watch itself or the Watch app. The results are the same regardless of the method you choose.
Resetting via the Watch App:
- Ensure that your watch is unlocked and connected to your phone (indicated by “Connected” next to the Bluetooth icon).
- Open the Watch app.
- Scroll down and tap “System.”
- Select “Reset and unpair watch” from the System menu.
- Tap “Reset.”
After this, you’ll be ready to pair your Pixel Watch with a new phone or prepare it for trade-in or sale.
Resetting via the Smartwatch:
If you don’t have your phone nearby or are experiencing connectivity issues, you can reset your Pixel Watch through the watch itself:
- Swipe down from the top of the watch screen.
- Tap the Settings app.
- Scroll down and tap “System.”
- Select “Disconnect & reset” from the System menu.
- Tap the checkmark icon button to confirm the reset.
Following this, you can proceed to pair your watch with a new device or prepare it for resale.
Resetting via Find My Device:
This method is useful if you’ve lost your Pixel Watch and want to keep your data secure. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the Find Device app.
- Select your Pixel Watch from the menu.
- Tap the Settings (cog icon) at the bottom of the screen.
- Choose “Factory reset Google Pixel Watch.”
- Confirm the reset by tapping “Reset.”
How to Clear an eSIM When Resetting a Pixel Watch
For owners of the 4G LTE version of the Pixel Watch or Pixel Watch 2 with an installed eSIM, you can clear the eSIM when performing a factory reset:
When resetting your Pixel Watch via the smartwatch or Watch app, you’ll see an option to clear your eSIM during the reset. This option is unchecked by default, so select it if you want to remove your eSIM. This step is essential if you plan to sell, trade-in, or give away your Pixel Watch.
Please note that this is the only way to clear an eSIM from a Pixel Watch. You cannot remove it without performing a factory reset.
- Top Strategies to Safeguard Your iPhone and Apple’s Security Alert Response
- Flow Shorted the Cell: Causes, Solutions in Battery Technologies
How to Avoid Losing Your Apps and Settings When Resetting Your Pixel Watch
Resetting your Pixel Watch can be a bit of a hassle since it wipes out all your installed apps and customization settings. However, if your Pixel Watch is updated to Wear OS 4, you can back it up using Google One. Here’s how:
- Ensure that your Pixel Watch is running Wear OS 4 (you may need to check for updates).
- Back up your smartwatch with Google One.
- When you pair your Pixel Watch again, you’ll have the option to restore your data from the backup. This includes all apps, data, and customization settings, although you may need to sign in again to some apps.
Conclusion: Resetting your Google Pixel Watch is a useful way to resolve software issues or prepare it for a new owner. Following the steps mentioned in this comprehensive guide will help you reset your watch, clear an eSIM if needed, and restore your apps and settings for a seamless experience.